Friday, October 10, 2008

Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 1:1 Macro Lens

In macro or "close-up" photography the image of the subject projected onto the film or sensor is roughly the same size as the object itself. For example, an image of a 35-mm long bug would stretch across the entire width of the film of a 35-mm camera. In most opinions, a lens is considered a "standard macro" if a ratio of 1:1 is achieved, but magnifications of 1:2, where the image on the sensor is half the size of the object can also be considered macro. Some lenses can even achieve ratios up to 5:1 and are used for imaging insect eyeballs and other microscale detail. Macro lenses such as the Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 are optimized for the 1:1 magnification ratio. One afternoon I borrowed this lens from my uncle, who uses it for all his macro work, and went out to shoot some insects. I found that the working distance of the lens, approximately 2 feet, kept me far enough away from the insects so I didn't scare them away. I love the sharpness and quality of the images. Here are some pictures, click on them for full resolution and to see some amazing close up details of insects and spiders...





See also:
Ten German Birds


Submit Photos to Shutterstock and make $$$!


4 comments:

Jumper said...

A good blog here. I wish I'd learned more C. You're all over the map in subject matter. I love it. Stop by sometime. Regards, Jumper

Anonymous said...

Great "close-ups" but I was hoping to see "macro" or micro shots.

Anonymous said...

All seem a bit soft --I think the lens is capable of more acuity but how is one to know?

Tim Molter said...

Anonymous, Agreed. My insect subjects were too big to really need full macro magnification. I'd say that the photo of the fly was a true macro photo though defined by the 1:1 ratio.

Anonymous, The softness may be due to the image size reduction and jpeg compression loss when I converted these images for blog use. But it could be due to of a lot of other reasons too. :)